AFUNGI DEMOB MTWARA OPERATIONS
As the security situation in and around Palma remained uncertain, Alistair Group was approached to support the demobilization of assets from Palma to various destinations – one among them being Mtwara (Tanzania). During September Alistair managed to support the transhipment of assets from Afungi to Mtwara Port, the operations included among other things;
- Loading and unloading cranes from Afungi to Mtwara Port
- Dismantling and loading of barges to different destinations
- Cutting, welding and loading barge pontoons
This was a complicated and complex operation as it involved several high-risk activities including; lifting operations, hot works, and working at height.
OUR HSSEQ FOCUSED APPROACH TO THE PROJECT:
In ensuring that this operation was efficient and completed safely, our team approached the project by;
- Developing a method statement
- Drafted lifting Plan that provided a systematic approach towards planning a lift and ensured that the lifting operation was going to be properly managed
- Our team risk assessed the project’s activities and identified control measures for mobile equipment hazards, Load and offload cargo from the barge, transhipping loads to designated areas, periodic review of the operation, hot works, and working at
- Selected highly qualified, competent and certified team members including crane operators, riggers, supervisors and health and Safety Officer.
- Every morning, all personnel attended safety toolbox talks where roles and responsibilities were clarified and critical safety issues were identified.
- Our competent crane operators carried out pre-start checks/inspections of the crane, and all riggers were checked for lifting gears.
- Team risk assessed the weather for safe operations.
- Supervisors and Safety Officers were at all times in the field to offer support and technical advice.
Every morning our team met for a safety toolbox meeting
Our welding team dismantling one of the barge at Mtwara Port